In order to attend a Walk to Emmaus weekend, each person must have a sponsor who has already attended a walk themselves. If you have a friend who has been to Emmaus, ask them to tell you about their experience with the program. Your friend can help you decide whether or not you would find an Emmaus experience helpful.
If you don’t know anyone who has been to Emmaus, you can contact one of the community’s area representatives and ask him or her to help you consider attending Emmaus and finding a sponsor.
Why do I need a sponsor?
Sponsorship is an act of love for God, for the participants in the Walk to Emmaus, for the Emmaus Community, and for the church. It is a demonstration of agape love. A sponsor will:
- Pray for the participant’s openness to God’s call to discipleship.
- Make an appointment with the participant (or participating couple) to discuss his or her participation in Emmaus.
- Invite the participant to take part in Emmaus for the sake of a more vital relationship with Jesus Christ. The sponsor shares his or her faith, explains the basic purpose, elements, and follow-up dimensions of the Walk.
- Ask the participant to make a commitment by filling out a registration form. If the participant is married, the sponsor will speak with both partners and encourage an equal commitment by both spouses.
- Support the participant’s Walk through prayers and otherwise. The sponsor will also support the participant’s family by house-sitting, baby-sitting, watering plants, picking up mail, feeding pets, or just checking in with a spouse to see if any help or support is needed.
- Encourage the participant in his/her continued journey and take the participant to Emmaus “gatherings” after the Walk weekend is over.
- Help the participant re-enter his or her church and consider ways to act out new commitment and enthusiasm.
- Help the participant sponsor others.